Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Art of Homemaking. Part 1

Soooo.... to fill you in, Anna James got me this REALLY FREAKINGLY AWESOME book entitled "The Art of Homemaking" by Daryl V. Hoole. It was published in Salt Lake City in 1962.


I promise, on this blogspot, that as soon as I am married--I will dress up like Betty Draper and feel trapped in my seemingly perfect life. In doing so, I also promise to harbor great resentment and discontent about my position in society while I put up with my husband's multiple infidelities. I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Chapter 1: The Ideal Homemaker (Oh, I'm so excited to begin!)

FACET #1: An ideal homemaker is lovely to look at and lovely to be around (Damn, already failed). She has a wholesome attitude and pleasant appearance. She has the courage to be happy and strive to live above the grievous faults of moodiness (bitchiness), sulkiness (bitchiness), and complaining (SUPA bitch).

FACET #2: An ideal homemaker is devoted to the great career in which she is engaged. She is a professional in her field by being a homeaker every day and letting her devotion and sense of duty, rather than her moods, dominate her. (Did I mention stop being a bitch?)


FACET #3: An idea homemaker makes the best use of her time and energy by being efficient so that she is able not only to keep up with her housework, but she is able to be a companion to her husband (when he's not with one of his whores) and a friend and teacher to her children. She is also able to pursue some personal interests (emphasis added) which further contribute to her happiness and development.

FACET #4: An ideal homemaker plans a program or a schedule for each day so that she is the master, rather than the victim, of her work. (Stupid women, always wanting to be victims).

FACET #5: An ideal homemaker is prepared to perpetuate the good things she learned in her home and is ever alert to new ideas and hints which will make her work more effective and help her to make an increasingly better homemaker. (HGTV anyone?)

FACET #6: An ideal homemaker exercises patience, understanding, and imperturbability (my new favorite phrase) unless controlled anger and reasonable discipline are justified. (Such as your daughter dating a colored man) . She will do her best to take those occasional "bad days," when everything seems to go wrong in her stride, realizing she needs some valleys in order to appreciate the mountains. (Still, it's best to bury your emotions deep, DEEP inside.)

FACET #7: And after all of these facets have made our ideal homeeaker like a sparkling diamond, she will add a few other special facets of her own to set her apart from all the rest. (An flagrant inference to your fellating skills)




Well, that's it for tonight. Hope you enjoyed the lesson, ladies.

1 comment:

  1. Crap. I'm failing on all accounts. Maybe I should have practiced being a home-maker out first on my secret Canadian family...and my even secreter attic family...

    ReplyDelete